Monday, August 31, 2009

August 31, 2009

Monday Musings
We were all moving pretty slow today at work - surprisingly, though in a Tai Chi dream sequence of sorts, we got a lot accomplished! Tonight I am puttering - payed bills online and I am now doing laundry that I thought I had finished on the weekend (where does this stuff come from?).

What's your vibe?
If I had to assign a colour to my experience today it would be dove grey. I wore red shoes, a red enamel bracelet and a red sweater with a rhinestone encrusted zipper to offset the mellow vibe, but even sitting in full sun on a patio at lunch hour I felt the ole brain fuzz trying to set my mood on STUN!

Ode to the garden tomato!
We are enjoying lemon yellow tomatoes from our garden and splendid basil these days - I can't seem to get enough of a simple salad I once ate in a local eatery called Pelegrino. The owner's girlfriend was an art model for me in my university days and I had given her some quick ink and charcoal studies as gifts. Years later, these were lovingly framed and hung in their small restaurant.

As I write this I am sipping a late night coffee with cream as a last ditch antidote... before I doze off, here is the simple recipe for the former Pelegrino's Tomato Salad with Basil - I urge you to get your hands on some late summer tomatoes and try this! Simple and so addicting...

TOMATO SALAD WITH BASIL
Four medium tomatoes, picked at the peak of ripeness and sliced 1/4" thick
3 ounces thinly shaved mozzarella cheese
Eight leaves of basil, chopped
Sea salt and coarse grind pepper to taste
Olive oil to taste

On a medium size plate arrange the tomato slices, tuck in the slivers of cheese between the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Toss the chopped basil over all and drizzle with olive oil. Wonderful as an antipasto, with fresh bread - if your diet allows - sadly mine does not.

No comments:

Post a Comment