Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Perfect Crepe!

By Pam Hadder

There's nothing quite like a lazy Sunday - although, if  I'm 100% honest, it still involves an internal battle. 


I'm improving, but I still struggle with just letting all responsibility slide away, and allowing myself to relax. 


Making crepes this morning was a real flash back experience, and it was part of my efforts to set aside diet guilt, perfect Mom guilt, the clean house guilt etc. and just enjoy the tastes, textures, aromas and emotions of spending free flowing time at home. When my oldest daughter was about 12, she would make crepes with one of her little friends. The friend, named Victoria, was like this wise little owl in a girl's image, cranking out perfect crepes like a pro. I thought about those two girls and their crepe forays while I searched the Internet for the best recipe. I found a few good crepe recipes, and adapted one to make the perfect crepe to enjoy Montreal style - that is,with Nutella chocolate-hazelnut spread and fresh, sliced strawberries!  


As I whipped up the delicate but creamy batter,  my memories drifted even further back, when I was about 13, I babysat for our Minister and his wife and she was a prolific crepe maker - giant, pale, pliable crepes were generated by the score, and the house smelled like a donut shop on many occasions! Maybe too much of a good thing ?  I know I couldn't eat crepes every weekend - they just would become commonplace, I think.


Anyway, here is the recipe - if you wish to use savoury fillings, just eliminate the vanilla extract and sugar.  My kids like the crepes slightly browned, but some folks prefer to fry them just until done - so that they remain pale on both sides, and slightly more moist.  I don't know if one style is considered technically correct, but I have enjoyed crepes cooked in both ways. 


This recipe can easily be halved for smaller groups -- as it is, it will easily serve 5-6.  Enjoy!


The Perfect Crepe 
INGREDIENTS:

4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup water
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
3Tbsp. canola oil, for frying


METHOD:
Preheat a non-stick pan to medium high heat, adding in the canola oil.  When the pan is at the right heat, droplets of water sprinkled on the surface will bead and roll away.


Mix together the eggs, water, milk, vanilla and melted butter; gradually adding in the flour mixed with salt and sugar.  The finished batter will be smooth and lump-free.  Ladle approx. 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter per crepe and tilt the pan in a semi-circular fashion to gently spread the circle of batter - each crepe takes about 2 minutes to cook, 1 minute per side.


To serve Montreal style, spread 1/2 of each crepe with Nutella (about1-1/2 Tbsp. per crepe), cover with 1/3 cup sliced strawberries, and roll up with open ends.  Drizzle with maple syrup and garnish with cinnamon and additional fruit. Delectable!


No comments:

Post a Comment