Sunday, October 25, 2009

October 25, 2009

Spooky...
Is is just our city, or are people becoming just a little too aggressive? I don't think we are close to the next full moon, but boy did I see a lot of crazy drivers today. My way to cope is to have lots of good tunes in the car and just sit back from the kooks! Be careful out there...

Displaced by Renos
Today the old tile was being ripped out in our main bathroom and replaced by bead board, so I headed to my studio to paint with my nine-year-old son and 18-year-old daughter. We had a mellow day together. Little dude was not keen on the art scene today, but my daughter painted for a long time and then made an awesome origami turtle.


Tea and Biscuit Heaven!
At three-thirty-ish I began to have a hankering for tea and biscuits. Rummaging through cookbooks I found an amazing buttermilk version that we enjoyed with raspberry jam, three fruit marmalade (orange, grapefruit, lemon) and hot Red Rose (orange pekoe) tea. Easy to make and so buttery good -- the first batch disappeared, so I fired up the oven again and cranked out another batch. Hope you will enjoy making and eating these -- the recipe is from one of the Best of Bridge books.

B.B.B. Biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 cup chilled butter
1 cup fresh buttermilk

In a medium bowl, blend together the flour, salt, soda and baking powder. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Gradually stir in the buttermilk until the mixture begins to ball together. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out 1/2" thick. Cut into 2.5" rounds with a floured juice glass or biscuit cutter. Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 13-15 minutes. Yield: 16 biscuits.

Note: I lay these out on my large pizza stone -- just love baking scones and biscuits on the stone. Get a lovely golden biscuit overall with no worries of overcooking the bottoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment