Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 31, 2010

Last day of January -- can't say I am sorry :) This week is my daughter's birthday and I am excited to go shopping for her presents etc. today. She loves to bake pies and has asked for rolling pin (if you can believe that!) for her birthday.

Wine not?
I use a cylindrical wine bottle (Italian brand) when I make pastry -- and my girl thinks Mom is a bit kooky/ghetto ;) It works great and you can pile ice cubes inside to keep the dough cool while rolling -- just like the old-fashioned glass rolling pin my mom and grandma used. However, I will seek out something a bit more conventional/typical for my daughter. She is still thinking about what she wants to do as far as furthering her education/career choices etc. Maybe a pastry chef is about to be born, who knows?

Mmmm.... Cake!
We are going to a restaurant for my daughter's birthday dinner and this place gives the "birthday kid" an amazing piece of ice cream cake that has all of the top favourites covered: chocolate, toasted almonds etc. However, she will be disappointed if I do not make some kind of cake for home also. We also have a tradition of waffles for breakfast on birthdays -- with strawberries and whipped cream of course (oink!).

Decisions, decisions...
So, I am searching through recipes this weekend, trying to decide on a great cake or cupcake recipe for the big day. To be continued.... xo


No comments:

Post a Comment