Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 15, 2010

Purposeful Living
Do you ever get so caught up in "doing" that you forget what you're doing it for? The last couple of months have been a total blur for me. Somewhere in that blur, there were birthdays, meetings, workout days, kid's events etc. -- some dry stuff and some really wonderful stuff, but looking back I am wondering if I was chewing without tasting!

Does Bionic Woman feel more deeply?
Better, stronger, faster - we continue to push and push and push. I can be a real workhorse - competitive, strong of mind and body and with exacting quality standards. But this applies more to my working life - do I approach my personal goals with the same drive and passion? Like so many women, I think it sneaks up on us and our dearest needs, hopes and desires slowly slip away from us like a receding tide. Chewing without tasting, looking versus seeing; "being there" versus true connection with others and with environments. If I am so omnipotent, why don't I feel wonder and joy at the same epic scale???

One thousand needles!
Sometimes it takes a physical twinge (or two, or three!) to jolt the mind and body back to attention and attentiveness. There can be a robotic separation of self when when we get caught up in "doing" rather than truly living and experiencing; using all of our senses. My mini-awakening came yesterday when I went for treatment of leg veins. A medical procedure to kill off varicose veins with a painful series of injections. The physician was experienced and quick with a needle, but the process was much more extensive than I imagined it would be. Like an explosion of glass embedding my tender skin, when we had reached the half-way point, I thought "What on earth have I got myself into?" I likely had fifty or so injections, but it felt like a thousand, a million - my nerve endings on fire with pain.

Nourishment
So, they wrapped me up -- I am bandaged from ankle to groin on both legs and my best friend was waiting for me in the waiting room. You have to walk, albeit gently for about 30-45 minutes after this treatment; so we went to a city park. The May air was moist and fragrant; the sun, benevolent and restorative. I was already willing my body to heal, to feel the promise through the pain. My little wake up call came in all of those rapid-fire injections -- I am so fortunate, I am in possession of these amazing gifts and abilities; I am willing myself to soar and I am committed to my self-care above all things.

When we are fully engaged in our self-care we reap the benefits many times over and the quality of our experience can then over-spill to all others we touch -- AND we truly are able to touch others, because we are really connecting; not just buzzing by.

No comments:

Post a Comment