Thursday, December 30, 2010

Emergeance

Winding down one year to wind up for another... seems like we just booted 2009 to the side to make way for 2010! I have never been one for resolutions - really think one day is as good as another to get moving, try new things, revisit favourite pass-times etc. One day at a time and one foot in front of the other - after all none of us comes with a guarantee ;)

Hope-filled; Dreaming Always
One thing I do know for certain is that I need to persist in my quest for life balance - too often I am caught in this cycle of busy-ness, raw motion without passion and joy factored into the mix. I am concurrently thankful for and frustrated by my hyper-creative tendencies! My time to paint, time to photograph, time to write etc. is always in a state of tension with my need to earn a living and take care of the basics for my kids.

The Recipe Project Continues...
I continue to make an electronic recipe favourites book for my friends and family. Have finished entering my Mom's Best selections and am now sorting thru the entrees - finding this is a bit thin, as I think I have mostly relied on those tried and true favs from Mom! Also, we tend to have pretty straightforward meals - some kind of grilled meat with raw veggies and rice or pasta! Anyway, I am looking forward to taking the file to the quick print place and having everything neat and accessible - and easy to share.

Vodka for Lunch??? Hey it's the Holidays!
So, let's toast the old year in a comforting way - here is a wonderful recipe for pasta with vodka sauce. I received this recipe at a fundraiser event at De Luca's Cooking School - like much of Italian cuisine, it is simple to prepare and fantastico on the old taste buds. Hope you will try and enjoy with a nice glass of red wine - buon appetitto!

Pasta With Vodka Sauce - Serves 4

Ingredients:
500g (about 16 ounces) of your favourite pasta
3-4 Tbsp. of butter
1/3 lb of back bacon, finely chopped
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup premium vodka (no cheap stuff - you are what you eat!)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
Dried chilies and salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Method:
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan, add the bacon and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the vodka and cook for 1-2 minutes longer. Add the cream, season to taste with salt and chili pepper and then stir in 1/2 of the parsley. Allow to come to a boil, reduce heat and set aside; covering loosely to keep warm.

Meanwhile cook the pasta to al dente in boiling salted water. Drain and return to cooking pot, tossing with parmesan, and half of the prepared sauce. Transfer to a serving platter, top with remaining sauce and cheese, garnish with parsley. Add a little black pepper if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment