Wednesday, December 8, 2010

We Are What We Eat

Passing the Torch
One of the things in life for which I am most thankful is motherhood - for both having had a loving Mother in my life, and for having had my own children.

Coming from a large family with lots of commotion in the household and not a lot of privacy, at age eighteen I was eager to have some time alone and I recall how I had absolutely no interest in marriage or family life.

Fast forward to the present, with three kids of my own and the outcome seems nothing short of miraculous; surreal! I remember my first moments with each of my babies and can't imagine a day without having had the pleasure and delight of them entwined in my experience.

A big part of my own upbringing was the time spent helping out with small tasks, including food prep and an early appreciation of what flavours work well together and what constitutes a balanced and nutritious family meal. I have spent many hours copying my favourite family recipes into a large zipper binder in an attempt to carry over some of the goodness (of which I was a fortunate beneficiary) into my adult life, and into my role as a parent.

In more recent days, I have noticed a deterioration to my binder - damn it, I am getting older and some of the loose leaf pages are yellowing and curling! Hard to believe as I still feel like I am about eight years old and can easily place myself into my parents cozy bungalow, lounging on the olive green carpet; surrounded by my Barbies! So... needless to say, I am in the process of editing through my culinary heritage to create an electronic recipe book that I can easily share with my own kids...AND reprint for myself to replace the current tatty version :)

The Project!
I am really enjoying all aspects of this process - like anyone else, I tend to gravitate toward a few favourites in my cooking and I have "rediscovered" some family recipes that have not been served at my home in a while. Also, I am adding in family photos and food shots - really adds to the appeal having the visual breaks, and makes the "book" much more special.

Pretty easy and inexpensive to take your files to a quick print place and get them either hole-punched or Cerlox bound. So, if you're in the same boat as this Momma, I recommend it. Could be a very nice and personal gift to welcome a new neighbour etc.

A Blast From Pam's Past...
Here is one of the recipes from my dear Mom - her Easy Beef Stew. Especially satisfying and comforting at this time of the year. I hope you will try and enjoy.
xo!

Mom's Easy Beef Stew

Ingredients:
2 lbs. round steak, cut into 2” – 3” chunks
2 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. canola oil
2 tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
Dash of garlic powder
6 small potatoes, diced

2 -3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
4 large onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
¼ cup dark soy sauce
1 cup water
1 can (approx. 10 ounces) cream of mushroom soup
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Optional: ½ medium rutabaga, cut in bite-size chunks

METHOD:
Place flour and spices in a Zip-loc bag and add the meat chunks, tossing to coat. Meanwhile heat the oil in a heavy fry pan. Brown the beef, stirring constantly. Place water, soy sauce and all vegetables in a large soup pot and add the browned meat as well. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for one hour. Add the mushroom soup and lemon juice, stirring to combine. Heat another 5-7 minutes and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Pam-a-licious, sounds wonderful. My mom's is slightly different. Rutabaga is definitely not optional, there's lots of it, with the addition of carrots as well. No onions in ours, which is surprising given the abundance of onions in everything else we ate. No soy sauce, or cream of mushroom soup, just the broth from the beef, which can be a little bland, I'll give yours a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops Melinda - I missed the carrots! Too many distractions here. Will amend. Hope you try and enjoy -- it is really good. xo

    ReplyDelete