Monday, January 3, 2011

Finding Focus

My holidays were a little on the fuzzy side this year - not so much "warm and fuzzy", but just fuzzy! Caught this bad upper respiratory virus that was making its rounds -- can't imagine what this would do to a less robust member of the species, as I rarely get even a common cold. The up side of this inconvenience, is that it makes me much more appreciative of my good health -- it really is an amazing gift and while we enjoy good health we should accept no excuses not to thrive and succeed.

Can't or Won't?
So back to work today and really felt good to be focused once more on our clients and projects -- I really accomplished a lot in my first few hours back in the saddle, and it felt just awesome. Now that my days of herbal tea and cold meds are over, I am enjoying complete mental clarity - my mind feels like a race horse! So, entering the new year in a positive frame of mind, I have decided there will be no excuses, no negative mind-sets - only forward motion toward a defined purpose.

Fuel for Success
It also feels amazing to have all of my favorite healthy foods on hand to get me through the busy work week - actually (likely due to my virus) I didn't go overboard with holiday meals this year, but I am missing my regular workouts as our trainers needed some well-deserved R & R too! Looking forward to returning to my regular exercise routine and adding the occasional fourth workout to the mix. Here is my yummy Winter Squash Soup recipe - easy to make and good for the bod - enjoy xo!

Winter Squash Soup

Ingredients:
1 medium to large butternut squash*
(*acorn squash or pumpkin can also be used – use about 3 lbs. of squash)
3 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
2 large leeks – white part only, finely chopped
4 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1½ tsp. sea salt
Fresh parsley, chopped
Croutons, to taste
Toasted pumpkin or squash seeds

METHOD:
Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Wash and dry the seeds and toss with 1½ tsp. of olive oil. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit; place seeds on foil covered sheet and toast seeds on upper rack until lightly browned. Remove and set aside to cool.

Place squash halves on baking sheet and bake for approximately one hour until the flesh is easily pierced with a knife. Allow squash to cool and them scoop all pulp out of the rinds. Melt butter (or heat oil) in a large soup pot. Add in the leeks and ginger, cooking until tender – about 5 -10 minutes; do not allow to brown. Stir in the squash along with the broth, cooking an additional 20 minutes. Use a potato masher to stir the soup occasionally and to break up any bigger chunks of the squash. Remove the soup and puree or use an immersion blender. Return soup to pot to heat through and serve garnished with parsley, croutons and toasted seeds.

Makes 6-8 servings.

NOTE: for a change, try throwing in a little leftover chicken breast and a spoonful of salsa or chopped tomato

No comments:

Post a Comment