Friday, March 11, 2011

Spudnuts!

Yes... SPUDNUTS!
My Mom makes homemade donuts for Shrove Tuesday (Mardi Gras) - this was a tradition in her home as a child. She uses a recipe that is made with mashed potatoes - so we call them spudnuts - crazy stuff.


Mmm...
This is the first time I have helped Mom with the production of her famous donuts - I was designated "The Glazer". My job was to lightly coat each donut with a glaze made from sugar, milk, vanilla and butter: "Don't drop them in; just use your hands and lightly skim the surface!" (That oil is over 200 degrees Fahrenheit - so, sorry, Mom, I needed to use a fork to manage those little devils --need to preserve my mouse hand!)

Recipe?
Who me, deep-fry? Not likely to happen, so I have never asked Mom for this recipe. The rare time I have something fried, it is in a restaurant - the occasional order of tempura or yam fries. For the donut lovers out there, try searching the web - I saw a recipe on the All Recipes site that contains Mom's secretweapon: NUTMEG! xo!

No comments:

Post a Comment