Monday, August 6, 2012

Going Bananas... Yet Again ;)

By Pam Hadder


For my birthday in July, I received a wonderful gift from my dear friend, Gail:  Vegan Cooking for Carnivores - written by Ellen DeGeneres' chef, Roberto Martin.


I love, love, love this book - Chef Martin uses simple, everyday ingredients and creates wholesome, flavourful food.  And... what better time than a sleepy holiday Monday to try one of the fabulous recipes? Today's breakfast treat:  Banana Pancakes!  A couple of things I noted when looking over this recipe last night... no added sugar and no special flour/grains - just ingredients I commonly have in the house (yes!!!!).  Also, you just mix the whole works in the blender - easy peasy and not a lot of dishes to clean up (nice!!!). 


Of course, I love a challenge (*wink*), and I started blending and measuring without my eye glasses!  Not recommended for this girl.... I ended up having to triple the recipe when I added 3x the amount of flour!  Made with oatmeal and soy milk, these are light textured, delicious but filling pancakes - I was quite hungry and could only eat two... as for the other 24 or so, I hope they freeze well! 


Enjoy xox!



Chef Martin's Banana Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 - 1/2 cups plain soy milk (or rice/almond milk)
1 cup steel cut oats (or quick oats)

2 medium ripened bananas
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
4 tsp. baking powder
Vegan butter or margarine - or non stick vegetable spray


Method:

Add oats and soy milk to the blender - blend on high until smooth (3 minutes or so). Add the remaining ingredients and blend to combine - let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile preheat and butter your griddle or frying pan over medium heat.  Use 1/4 cup of batter per pancake - turning the pancakes when small bubbles form and begin to pop.



Yield: 8 large pancakes - serve with real maple syrup and fruit mmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment