Thursday, August 16, 2012

Golden Veg Curry

By Pam Hadder

It's the season of abundance, and sometimes my jaws just can't keep up with all of the fabulous summer veg coming my way!  You need to use it while it's fresh - it makes me feel a bit sick to end up composting something that should have been consumed and enjoyed.

Today I was gifted two very large bags overflowing with amazing CSA veg - all pesticide free and absolutely luscious.  I felt a bit like I robbed a bank, trundling up the front steps with green foliage spilling out over the tops of the large sacks!

The problem - still a lot of great veg in the fridge! The solution... I made kale chips and experimented with a vegetable curry.  The kale chips are being devoured by my son as I write this, and the curry (I am delighted to say!) was a great success.  Here is the recipe - as always, I hope you will try and enjoy nature's bounty in the best of health xox.


Pam's Golden Veg Curry

Ingredients:
5 golden beets, peeled and cubed in 1" pieces
2 medium cooking onions, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt 
1/2 tsp. crushed red chilies
4 rounded tsp. green curry powder
1 cup sliced carrots
1 large yellow zucchini (or patty pan squash), chopped coarsely
4 large ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
Fresh basil, finely chopped
1 large clove (elephant) garlic, or 3 regular garlic cloves - minced

Method:
Add olive oil to large, heavy skillet with tight-fitting lid.  Place beets, carrots and onion in the skillet, cover tightly and cook over medium high heat until beets and carrots begin to soften and the onions are clear; stirring occasionally (about 7 minutes).  Add in the garlic, tomatoes, squash, basil and dry seasonings, reduce heat and simmer until the beets and carrots are tender (another 12-15 minutes).

Delicious as it is, or over rice, lentils or chickpeas.  Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, basil, or celery leaves.  This would make a great cold pita filling with your favourite greens and fresh tomato.

Enjoy!  xox

No comments:

Post a Comment