Sunday, January 16, 2011

Apples, Chicken, Comfort, Art




So very very cold this weekend - really makes me want to hibernate! No excuse not to get my laundry done, I suppose; standing by that hot clothes dryer and dreaming I am near the Mediterranean in the summer.... hmmmmm.... I can work with that -- thank goodness for my over-active imagination!

I am also thinking it is a good day to roast a farm chicken and to actually sit down and dine with the kids. There have been too many gobbled meals and far too much nibbling while standing/noshing in the car! I feel like a "wanted woman" ((...and, no, NOT in the romantic sense, btw)) -- just grubby, pasty, distracted; on-the-lam-from-joyful-living with a Tim Horton's ham & Swiss in one hand! It's a "get 'er done" kind of life, what can I say?

Homage to C. Dukes
Highlight of the week for me last week was definitely the visit to Caroline Dukes' art studio - so amazing to see everything in place years after her passing, and to see some of her major works in their birth place. Strange to think that in a few months those canvasses will be in other spaces, including the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.

Also tremendously encouraging to see another female artist beginning to make use of Caroline's space. What a great view from that atelier/lucky gal -Winnipeg looks so European from those windows! Brought me waaay back to long afternoon hours spent in figure drawing and painting studio sessions -- my student life seems so luxe and indulgent to me now LOL :) Can't imagine having that time on my hands - just surreal; fantastic! I am so grateful for that experience in my life.

I still can't quite believe I have a couple of C.D.'s rough sketches from the Apple Pickers period -- can still remember visiting her studio with all of those big canvasses, freshly painted and glowing, around tiny Caroline. They were dynamic, vibrant and summer-like on that cold winter evening; what an extraordinary treat.

So today I am thinking that I will make some classic baked apples for my kids and fill the house with cinnamonny and savory chicken goodness. A hearty, heart-felt gastronomic celebration of thanks for the influence of a gentle artist on my somewhat grey little life.

Pam's Baked Apples

Ingredients:
4 Granny Smith Apples, cored
4 teaspoons butter, portioned
4 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Dash cloves
Dash nutmeg
Few grains of salt
1 Tbsp. real maple syrup
2 Tbsp. finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup water or apple juice

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Core the apples, but do not remove the core right through to the bottom -- you need to have a little "cup" to hold the filling. Place apples close together in a oven-proof baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine the sugar, spices and nuts. Spoon these evenly into the cored apple cavities. Evenly drizzle the maple syrup inside each apple and top each apple with a teaspoon of the portioned butter. Pour the water or juice into the dish, around the apples. Loosely cover with foil and bake 35 - 40 minutes. Apples will be tender,but not mushy when ready. Serve as-is, or with a bit of cream, whipped cream or ice cream. A nice breakfast paired with oatmeal, a side with dinner, or homey dessert.

Quick, easy and delish xo!


No comments:

Post a Comment