Saturday, January 8, 2011

Heart of Influence










I read a notice in the local papers this week about the selling off of the works of Canadian fine artist, Caroline Dukes and my heart sank and soared at the same time - I have thought of Caroline many times over the past years, and had not realized she had passed away in 2003.
Apparently, I have missed a retrospective exhibit of her work at the Winnipeg Art Gallery - where the hell was I? Under some mushroom of busy-ness no doubt and not listening attentively to the messages of my heart.
You see, I had the privilege of visiting Caroline's studio in the Exchange District of Winnipeg in the late 1980's when I was a young art student and Ms. Dukes kindly invited our class to her atelier. At the time I was polished on the surface but raw with sorrow inside due to the recent lost of my first baby in pregnancy. My visit to Caroline Duke's studio that evening was a profound experience that soothed, delighted, and inspired me.

Gentle Generosity
Caroline was completing her Apple Pickers series - glorious, loosely painted, large scale, figurative pieces. She was physically delicate and pale - a quieter woman who was warm of spirit, focused on her work and yet very humble of her achievements - a lovely, lovely individual and fine artist! I recall how she offered us all a selection of teas and tinned biscuits, like we were her family or close friends - and how welcome to students who didn't have much on a cold, winter night.
Her generousity, kindness, fresh painting style and resilience influenced me greatly (Caroline, born in Hungary was a Holocaust survivor) - I was also working on allegorically themed artwork, and favoured a loose, scribbly, dreamy style to stark realism. I felt ((and often still feel)) more connected to my artistic inspirations by expressing myself in this manner.

Thank you Caroline for touching my heart and teaching me to open my heart to art and through art.

((http://www.ccca.ca/artists/artist_info.html?link_id=143)) see more works of Caroline Dukes





No comments:

Post a Comment